Can the college office help families with financial aid information?
By all means. There are institutional awards and general awards for both need- based and merit awards.
How does the college office communicate with colleges and universities?
Through multiple channels and via multiple activities. These include: college visitors that come through our college counselling office doors, larger college fairs in our area, regional and national conferences and the counseling staff getting out and visiting campuses.
Will college counselors review students' essays/applications/supplements?
Yes, indeed. All students’ work will be reviewed before being submitted to their respective schools.
Will college reps be visiting Berkshire? What if no rep from the school my child is interested in is visiting campus? Up to 100 admission officers do visit Berkshire every year and if a school of interest does not visit, we’ll arrange for a student to connect via Skype, allow for a campus visit to that school during the spring term of 5th form or fall of 6th form year.
Can students still do college visits this fall? Fall of senior year is a time for students to visit schools. The best time to do this is during the October Fall weekend.
Should my child apply Early Decision? Even if they need financial aid? We strongly encourage all students to be prepared well-enough to make an informed decision on whether or not they’ll apply for the early rounds of Early Decision or Early Action. Whether or not aid is available for students in the early rounds varies from school to school. College counselors will work with students at identifying the aid opportunities at respective schools of interest.
How many schools should my child plan to apply to? This varies from student to student, but we like to see 8 apps per student.
Does my child need to take the SAT/ACT again? What about Subject Tests Typically, best SAT results are earned within 3 attempts. The College Board has stated that after taking more than three SAT 1 tests, students results are not better and commonly will go down. I would advise the same for the ACT. Two times are recommended, and a 3rd should be the last. There are only 40+ schools that require the SAT 2 Subject Tests. There are many more that “recommend” them. Be sure to look at the admission requirement webpages and communicate with your college counselor the schools of interest to judge whether or not your son or daughter should take the SAT 2s.
What can I do as a parent to most effectively support my child's college process? Ask questions. Be involved. Communicate with your child’s counselor and, where possible, take advantage of school breaks to visit schools or better inform yourself about the schools in which they are interested.
Standardized tests taken during the Sixth Form year will vary by individual. Please be aware that the August SAT, September ACT, and October SAT test dates below have very early registration deadlines. You should consider signing up online before arriving on campus at www.collegeboard.org (for SATs) or www.actstudent.org (for ACTs). A credit card is required. College Board registration opens the second week of June; ACT opens the first week of July. Students who have been approved by the College Board or ACT for accommodations can also register online. If you have questions about which test(s) to take, please be in touch with us over the summer.
· We recommend that Berkshire Sixth Formers take the ACT on September 11th and/or October 23rd. Berkshire will once again be a closed test center and you will need the code 195110 to register.
· Students taking the SAT should register for Aug. 28th (at an off-campus testing center) or Oct. 13th on campus. This is a school-day test and students do not need to register ahead of time.
· Saturday February 12, 2022 ACT - off-campus only
· Saturday, March 12, 2022 SAT - off-campus only
· Saturday, April 2, 2022 ACT - on-campus at Berkshire School for ONLY Berkshire Students (you will need the code 195110 to register)
· Wednesday, April 13, 2022 School-Day SAT - on-campus SAT School Day Test (takes place on a weekday) at Berkshire for ONLY Berkshire Students (students do not need to register ahead of time)
· Saturday, May 7, 2022 SAT - off-campus only
· Saturday, June 4, 2022 SAT - off-campus only
· Saturday, June 11, 2022 ACT - off-campus only
· Saturday, July 16, 2022 ACT - off-campus only
Please be aware that these test dates and policies are subject to change. The College Office will update our blog regularly regarding any additional changes.
Important Test Registration Numbers:
Berkshire School Code: 221900
Berkshire Test Center Code for SAT: 22-708
Berkshire Test Center Code for ACT: 195110