SAGE Dining Services takes pride in nourishing the Berkshire School community with meals that offer variety, nutritional balance and flavor. The talented chefs from SAGE have transformed meals at Berkshire into a daily culinary adventure. Our community is treated to real food, cooked from scratch. SAGE’s seasonal menus are custom-designed for us, reflecting the students’ preferences as well as the fresh products available in the New England region. SAGE’s registered dietitians evaluate each menu to ensure that it offers a wide variety of nutritious choices.
SAGE's chefs produce meals the old-fashioned way – from scratch. SAGE believes that freshly made food tastes better, retains more nutrients and is safer for the environment. All SAGE food is free of trans fats and MSG. Learn more about SAGE's commitment to sustainability here.
Here are some of the foods our students will enjoy each day:
- Freshly prepared soups and entrees;
- ImprovisationsTM bar, featuring a wide variety of salad greens, whole-grain salads, fresh vegetables and toppings, as well as an array of house-made dressings;House-roasted and hand-sliced deli meats, as well as a variety of locally baked breads;
- House-roasted and hand-sliced deli meats, as well as a variety of locally baked breads
- At least two fresh vegetables, as well as fresh-cut fruit;
- A variety of beverages, including hormone-free and antibiotic-free milk; freshly made Spa Water (flavored with fresh-cut fruits and vegetables); lemonade and juices.
Click here for SAGE's Berkshire School customer site, with nutritional information and links to weekly menus. Menus are listed from Saturday to Friday.
To guide our students' dining selections, SAGE's Spotlight Program® assigns a Spotlight color to each item on the menu. Green is for highly nutritious foods that should be enjoyed often: fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and dairy products. Most foods we consume have yellow dots; these are good choices, especially when paired with green dot items. Red dots are reserved for items we should enjoy sparingly because they contain higher levels of fat, salt or added sugar. Learn more about the Spotlight Program® here.
SAGE understands the importance of accommodating diners with food allergies and other dietary restrictions. As partners in our children's health and nutrition, we encourage parents and students to work with SAGE's Food Service Director to discuss menus and learn about making wise choices.
Our dining hall also includes an educational focus through SAGE's Educational Seasonings® program. Students are encouraged to learn about – and taste – foods and flavors from around the world. In the coming school year, students will learn about Thanksgiving in the Wild West, Southern African Cuisine, Stews, Fair Trade Foods, Eat Locally, Dress it Up, Tea Time and the Culinary Trades. Learn more about Educational Seasonings here.