Our Certified Athletic Trainers (ATC) are highly trained professionals with diverse educational and experiential backgrounds. The National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification (NATABOC) and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Professional Licensure credential them. The comprehensive healthcare services include injury prevention, recognition and assessment, treatment, disposition, rehabilitation, and healthcare administration and promotion. Additional healthcare services are provided through referral to MACONY Pediatrics and Berkshire Orthopedic Associates.
What is Athletic Training?
The 1999 Role Delineation of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association concludes that the profession is divided into six major areas or domains. These domains are:
1. Prevention of Athletic Injuries
2. Recognition, Evaluation, and Assessment of Athletic Injuries
3. Immediate Care of Athletic Injuries
4. Treatment, Rehabilitation, and Reconditioning of Athletic Injuries
5. Organization and Administration
6. Professional Development and Responsibility
In defining these domains and in attempting to assign the elements of athletic training it is evident that many elements transcend several domains rather than fitting in only one domain. These elements are best reflected in the following Athletic Training competencies and clinical proficiencies.
1. Acute Care of Injuries and Illnesses
2. Assessment and Evaluation
3. General Medical Conditions and Disabilities
4. Health Care Administration
5. Nutritional Aspects
6. Pathology of Injuries and Illnesses
8. Professional Development Responsibilities
9. Psychosocial Intervention and Referral
10. Risk Management and Injury Prevention
11. Therapeutic Exercise
12. Therapeutic Modalities