Flu Season 2013
Flu season is heating up in the Northeast. Rest assured, we are taking several steps to help keep the flu at bay at Berkshire. Student Health Service is sharing best practices with other schools and leading the effort to keep our campus healthy this winter. Education is the key to staying healthy, and all of our departments are working together to keep students, faculty and staff informed. We've yet to see any cases of the flu so far, and are keeping vigilant. Below are some of the steps taken to help keep our campus healthy this winter.
- A communication campaign is underway with health safety tips being distributed over email and posted in public spaces.
- A film about how to avoid spreading germs was screened for the entire community in an all-school meeting.
- Extra caution in Benson Commons: Dining Services will be placing anti-bacterial hand sanitizer on tables throughout the dining hall, in addition to the dispensers located at the beginning of each serving line.
- Education and communication at practices and in the dorm: Coaches and dorm parents have been continuing to communicate the importance of basic tips like hand washing and not sharing water bottles.
- The housekeeping staff is being especially vigilant about public surfaces like door knobs and hand rails across campus.
- As always, all students are encouraged to visit SHS in the event that they feel ill.
A reminder to all parents: If you signed your child up for a flu shot, please check to make sure he or she has received it. SHS still has flu vaccine available. If your son or daughter has not been vaccinated, please encourage him or her to go to Student Health for the vaccine. It’s not too late! Feel free to call Student Health Services at 413-229-1275 with any questions or concerns and stay healthy!
Download the flu shot permission form here. This form must be faxed to SHS at (413) 229-1014 before we can distribute the vaccine. Thank you.